Wednesday 28 January 2015

Hopeless | Book Review

Title: Hopeless
Series: (Hopeless #1)
Author: Colleen Hoover
Genre: New Adult, Romance
Publication Date: December 19th 2012
Format: ebook

Sometimes discovering the truth can leave you more hopeless than believing the lies…

That’s what seventeen-year-old Sky realizes after she meets Dean Holder. A guy with a reputation that rivals her own and an uncanny ability to invoke feelings in her she’s never had before. He terrifies her and captivates her all in the span of just one encounter, and something about the way he makes her feel sparks buried memories from a past that she wishes could just stay buried.Sky struggles to keep him at a distance knowing he’s nothing but trouble, but Holder insists on learning everything about her. 

After finally caving to his unwavering pursuit, Sky soon finds that Holder isn’t at all who he’s been claiming to be. When the secrets he’s been keeping are finally revealed, every single facet of Sky’s life will change forever.

I didn't want to review Hopeless just because of how sad I am for not enjoying it as much as I do with other book by Colleen. But, I guess I'm doing it anyway...

I couldn't get into this book at all for almost 60% of it. The story pre-twist -Co Ho style- seemed very cheesy and to be honest... stupid. Holder and Sky literally meet by accident and suddenly they're obsessed with each other.
I guess I just couldn't handle romance when I was in the mood for fantasy so I guess it's my fault too.

This is probably the strongest plot of hers, (not counting Never Never because that shit killed me) but I didn't realize that I was so disconnected from the characters until I actually finished the book. 

Something that really blew me away is that I didn't... cry. This was probably the most sob-worthy story out of all of her books yet, I didn't cry, not even teared up.
Let me tell you something, I am a crybaby ok? Only in fiction life, though. Like, books, TV shows, movies and anime. I cried in In The Afterlight because Ruby was tired... She was just. tired. and I cried my ass off.

So I guess it's a pretty big deal I didn't cry in a book like Hopeless. But oh, well... 

I don't know if I even want to pick up Losing Hope. I know I will, but right now, I just don't feel like it.

I'm not saying I didn't like this book at all, I still loved Colleen's writing and the complexity of the whole situation but comparing it to her other work is just inevitable.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Followers