Wednesday 28 January 2015

The Burning Sky | Book Review

Title: The Burning Sky
Series: (The Elemental Trilogy #1)
Author: Sherry Thomas
Genre: Fantasy, Historical Fiction (?)
Publication Date: September 15th 2013
Format: ebook

It all began with a ruined elixir and a bolt of lightning.

Iolanthe Seabourne is the greatest elemental mage of her generation—or so she's been told. The one prophesied for years to be the savior of The Realm. It is her duty and destiny to face and defeat the Bane, the most powerful tyrant and mage the world has ever known. This would be a suicide task for anyone, let alone a reluctant sixteen-year-old girl with no training.

Guided by his mother's visions and committed to avenging his family, Prince Titus has sworn to protect Iolanthe even as he prepares her for their battle with the Bane. But he makes the terrifying mistake of falling in love with the girl who should have been only a means to an end. Now, with the servants of the tyrant closing in, Titus must choose between his mission—and her life.

First of all, I must applaud whoever made this cover a thing because fucking hell, that's beautiful.

The Burning Sky is a two perspective novel -a current favorite of mine- surrounding a world that uses Elemental Mage. I wouldn't call this High fantasy, it's got more like a Harry Potter feel where there's the magical world but there's also our world (the non-mage world) where people live there lives, unaware of magic.

I went into this book not expecting much, but I did remember a review that said to read this book for its romance, not the action-y fantasy, so I did.

Now, I'll be completely honest, I was very confused almost all the first half of the book, the politics and the world were kind of complicated to grasp and quite frankly, all over the place. Not to mention the vocabulary was even difficult. I kept on going though, since I was still enjoying it with all the confusion.
I wasn't expecting to love this book as much as I did. It had a little bit of everything. Some people might think it's a bit boring and dragged out at places, but survival and hiding and all that sort of stuff really interests me and I thoroughly devoured it.

The characters were somewhat different than other characters I've read about, they were very interesting and I ended up loving our two main characters so much.

The first point of view is from Lolanthe, (wtf right?) but no worries, no one ever calls her that, Sherry Thomas sympathized with us there. For us, we'll call her Lola. Lola was very... polite at the start of the book. I was thrown off by the way her and Titus -the male protagonist- communicated. It was so weird and awkward.
But then, Lola takes a 180 degree spin and becomes this kickass chick that I loved. 

The other point of view is from Titus, Titus was kind of a mystery too. As much as I loved Lola, I couldn't help but love his perspective more. He thought differently than what he did, unlike Lola who was straight to the point. Throughout the chapter, I found myself waiting for Titus's POV. Also, he's Titus for God's sake.

The fantasy elements in this book, I found fascinating. Especially the Crucible (a thing you'll know about if you read the book). The magic system itself was pretty simple, the whole Elements controlling type of magic.

And last but definitely not least, the romance. It was pretty much non-existent but it was like- you know it's there. The characters were so proud to admit or do anything, my God. What I mostly love about the romance is that it felt like a partnership. They were in this together and they got each other's backs. 
I have a thing for male friendship, I just love the way guys communicate honorably and I just love it, and this romance felt like that. Which is kind of weird...

Overall, it was a very pleasant read and I'm very excited to read the sequel. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Followers