Saturday 21 March 2015

Cinder | Book Review

Title: Cinder
Series: (The Lunar Chronicles #1)
Author: Marissa Meyer
Genre: Sci-Fi, Fairy Tail Retelling. 
Publication Date: January 3rd 2012
Format: ebook

Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl. 

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future.

Finally, after putting this book on my TBR for 5 months... I finally did it! 

I'm really more happy about finishing it than reading it. Don't get me wrong though, I really enjoyed it!

Okay, first of all, a fairytale retelling huh? It was so much more similar to Cinderella than I imagined it would be. The only fairytale retelling book I've read before this was Cruel Beauty By Rosamund Hodge but now that I think of that book it wasn't really much of a retelling so seeing Cinderella literally as a cyborg was definitely interesting.

As a first book the plot hadn't really developed much but it was mostly an introduction to the characters, which makes me really sad because the next book isn't going to follow the characters that I came to love yet saw no closure for them whatsoever. I mean I know they come back, but the story isn't theirs, which is just sad.



My favorite thing about Cinder was the characters for sure. 



Cinder was just a really fun character overall and I definitely related to her on the whole freedom thing -minus the asshole of a step mom- and I loved how she was inspired by Cinderella but was not weak and underneath all the uncaring no-tears face -and a couple metal parts- there was an emotional, girly girl.

Also, her mechanical techniques are the fucking truth people. Hit it a couple of times and it's as good as new!!


I'm so sad we're not going into her character in depth again..






Prince Kai was just like I imagined he would be.. the perfect prince. I love him, basically. (trying hard to forget the ending..) 
The fact that he was Asian automatically turned him into Lee Min Ho. I couldn't help it xD

Kaito is one of my favorite names and it earned him so many points.

I think I sympathized with Kaito's situation the most, it really was hard what he was going through and at such a young age too 

  
 Iko was the cutest thing in the world and the whole time she was talking I always thought of how much I wanted an Iko for myself. Oh my God, she was seriously hilarious and the best thing that happened to the book.

I'm not pretty sure but do you think Iko is the Fairy God-mother? I mean, was she inspired by her? I do believe she is.



Overall, I thought this book was very fast-paced and easy to read. Some of the plot was predictable but it was still fun nonetheless, and you get attached to the characters so fast.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Followers