Saturday 21 March 2015

The Raven Boys | Book Review

Title: The Raven Boys
Series: (The Raven Cycle #1)
Author: Maggie Stiefvater
Genre: Fantasy, Paranormal, Young Adult
Publication Date: September 18th 2012
Format: Audiobook

It is freezing in the churchyard, even before the dead arrive.

Every year, Blue Sargent stands next to her clairvoyant mother as the soon-to-be dead walk past. Blue herself never sees them—not until this year, when a boy emerges from the dark and speaks directly to her.

His name is Gansey, and Blue soon discovers that he is a rich student at Aglionby, the local private school. Blue has a policy of staying away from Aglionby boys. Known as Raven Boys, they can only mean trouble.

But Blue is drawn to Gansey, in a way she can’t entirely explain. He has it all—family money, good looks, devoted friends—but he’s looking for much more than that. He is on a quest that has encompassed three other Raven Boys: Adam, the scholarship student who resents all the privilege around him; Ronan, the fierce soul who ranges from anger to despair; and Noah, the taciturn watcher of the four, who notices many things but says very little.

For as long as she can remember, Blue has been warned that she will cause her true love to die. She never thought this would be a problem. But now, as her life becomes caught up in the strange and sinister world of the Raven Boys, she’s not so sure anymore..

I picked this book up on a complete whim, not knowing what it's about, not knowing nothing. I think if I actually looked up what it was about I would've never read it, since I don't think mystery is necessarily my thing. Now? I'm not pretty sure.

As you can see, I listened to this book on Audiobook and I thought that was the best decision because I think this book would've taken forever if I read it normally since nothing really happens, all of this book is merely world-build but it was done beautifully.

The Raven Boys was mostly character-driven, which I found myself enjoying because the characters are so real and I got attached to the group so fast. They became like friends to me (that's a really sad statement)

Also, the writing is so whimsical and creepy and It didn't take me that long to get used to it, actually, which earns it bonus points.

Gansey, Ronan, Adam and Noah, all four of them had complete different stories and backgrounds and such different attitude, too. But their friendship somehow seemed natural and I have never thought that boys can actually be that sensitive it was so beautiful to look upon. Male friendship, man. My fucking favorite.

Blue was also different from the group, but I felt that the author spent so much time on the boys she forgot to take care of Blue. For example, if you give me situations asking me what each of the boys would do, I would answer in a heartbeat, but for Blue I'd probably just space.

For me, right now, Blue is just a weird person that I don't hate nor love. I hope she gets more characterization in the next books.

Lastly, I enjoyed the reader very much. He sounds like an old man but because the book is told in third person it's easier not to bother you so much that a 17 years old girl is talking in a voice of a man in his 40s. His voice somehow adds to the creepiness of the book.

Overall, The Raven Boys was a great start to a series and I can't wait to start listening to The Dream Thieves. The ending to this book was perfection, God, I don't think she could've done any better job of making me want to read the next book so badly.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Followers