Saturday 28 March 2015

Paper Towns | Book Review

Title: Paper Towns
Series: Standalone
Author: John Green
Genre: Contemporary, Young Adult
Publication Date: October 16th 2008
Format: ebook

Quentin Jacobsen has spent a lifetime loving the magnificently adventurous Margo Roth Spiegelman from afar. So when she cracks open a window and climbs back into his life—dressed like a ninja and summoning him for an ingenious campaign of revenge—he follows.

After their all-nighter ends and a new day breaks, Q arrives at school to discover that Margo, always an enigma, has now become a mystery. But Q soon learns that there are clues—and they’re for him. Urged down a disconnected path, the closer he gets, the less Q sees of the girl he thought he knew.

I feel like it's becoming a thing to read John Green's book just a few days after the trailer comes out. It happened with TFIOS and now PT. I think I like it that way since I'm in no hurry. We'll see Looking For Alaska next year, hopefully.

It was very difficult to think of a review and a rating for this book so I'll just divide it into the three parts the book consists of:

Part #1 

My second favorite part. I enjoyed the adventure that Margo and Quentin when on, even though Margo was the ultimate bitch. I found myself smiling a lot while reading their night.
which hysterically sounds like "like you" in the trailer






















Part #2:

My least favorite part. This is the part where we lose dear, sweet Margo. And it's also where Quentin loses his shit. His obsessiveness over her was quite creepy and dumb to be completely honest. Even after reading this book I still don't understand his motives. I mean, does he honestly think he loves her? They never talked for fuck's sake.

Other than Quentin's annoying refusals to enjoy his last days in school with his friends this part was still enjoyable to read. The clues and the mystery part was very interesting and exciting to learn about. Also, for some reason, I really would like to read Whitman's poem now, like it really appeals to me after the bazillion times it got mentioned.

I loved Quentin's friends: Radar and Ben. They added so much to the story with their rich characters and I love the emphasis on how friends are different and sometimes they can be assholes, but you know what? they'er still friends.

The two parties in this part where the best scenes of the whole book in my opinion, I just love their innocence and how raw they were.
btw, this is probably my favorite gif of all time

Part #3

Ah, my favorite part. Except for the ending, that is. I feel like Margo gets mentioned the least in this part but mainly I loved the friendships that were formed because of her in this part. My favorite hours are probably #4 because that was intense, #7 because the car is just awesome, #16, #17, #18 because it's a joke that you'll get when you read the book. 

This part was a whole entire book on its own. I loved every word they said in it and honestly I felt so happy and giddy reading it. 

In the movie, I can already see a bunch of changes made to this part in particular and I'm so annoyed. God, I really am. But Nat Wolff is bae.

Overall, I still don't think contemporary is for me but I know for sure I really enjoy John's writing and usually I'm so bad at finding quotes that I like, but I actually found a couple on my own which I'm so proud of. So beside the ending and Margo and Quentin's obsession in Margo, I really enjoyed my time reading this book.




 Before I go, here are the quotes I found on my own:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Followers